The language ab initio course is designed for students with little or no prior experience of the language they wish to study.
The aims of Spanish Ab Initio are to:
1. develop students’ intercultural understanding
2. enable students to understand and use the language they have studied in a range of contexts
and for a variety of purposes
3. encourage, through the study of texts and through social interaction, an awareness and
appreciation of the different perspectives of people from other cultures
4. develop students’ awareness of the role of language in relation to other areas of knowledge
5. develop students’ awareness of the relationship between the languages and cultures with which
they are familiar
6. provide students with a basis for further study, work and leisure through the use of an additional
7. provide the opportunity for enjoyment, creativity and intellectual stimulation through knowledge of
an additional language.